In this digital era, organizations need to keep their sensitive and private information safe from potential cyber-attacks and data breaches.
Keeping such delicate data needs constant vigilance,
And one of the best ways to do so is through a vulnerability assessment,
If you’re unaware of such a concept. Read this article to learn more.
What is Vulnerability Assessment?
It is a process of recognizing, analyzing, and ranking vulnerabilities in IT systems. It is designed to uncover security weaknesses or gaps.
This is done using various scans like internal, external, or environmental entities. One of the common examples of vulnerability could be a cheap antivirus or an open network that lacks security.
Importance of Vulnerability Assessment
Vulnerability Assessment provides a deep understanding of security differences in a system that helps to tackle the risks related to data mining. This protects the data as well as the reputation of an organization from cyber hacks.
Common Reasons for Vulnerability
Some of the common and main causes of vulnerabilities include:
- Software Bugs
- Open Networks
- Connected Devices
- Complex Systems
- Unsecured Operating Systems
- Unchecked SQL Injections
- Human Errors
Types of Vulnerability Assessment Scans
It applies various tools, methods, and scanners to identify the gaps and risks. To understand the scans more deeply, let’s discuss them one by one.
- Network Scans: These help in identifying possible network security loopholes on wired as well as wireless networks.
- Host-based Scans: Under this process, ports and services are examined. It provides deep visibility of configuration settings and system history.”
- Application Scans: Used to test websites to discover software-related issues.
- Database Scans: Helps in highlighting areas of improvement to safeguard the database from potential cyberattacks.
- Wireless Scans: These types of scans help in eliminating any security weakness related to a company’s network.
Types of Vulnerabilities
- Unsecured Systems: Systems that have misconfigurations are an easy target for hackers for a cyber attack. This is where you need IT experts that can safeguard your lose networks in a secured system.
- Outdated Technology: If the systems are not up to date or are unpatched. This can trigger a major cyber attack and all of your sensitive data can be leaked online, costing you a serious financial as well as goodwill loss.
- Unencrypted Data: If the data is not encrypted, it can be easily accessible to hackers. Nowadays, it has become a necessity for all organizations to keep their as well as their clients’ data fully encrypted.
- Zero Day: These vulnerabilities refer to the areas which are at a high risk of threats but are not yet discovered by the organization. Risk monitoring and mitigation help in tackling such types of vulnerabilities.
To Sum it Up
With the online presence gaining more and more attention. It becomes important for businesses to keep their systems in check. The best practice is to conduct regular audits and hire IT experts that can help make your business secure from any potential cybercrime.
If you are a business owner looking for IT Professionals to help safeguard your organization’s crucial information,
Book a Free Strategy call with Inthera Consultants today!